It has been a very long time since I programmed using a Dynamic Linked Library (DLL). Last time I remember was during my 3rd year for our master project to interface the xbox Kinect to our semi-autonomous drone; good old days... For my PhD we need to interface our developed energy management algorithms with a standardized simulation environment. The one we chose is OpenDSS (link), and as it seems it comes with a so called "Direct Connection Shared Library (DLL) for OpenDSS"! This far, every time we wanted to interface with OpenDSS, we had to fully install OpenDSS on our target machines in the HTCluster and let our code interface to the simulation engine via the registered COM server. Now we can achieve the same without installing OpenDSS by simply including the relevant DLLs alongside our Python code! This post addresses (and in the future will remind me) how this is done, and how some traps and errors can be prevented and fixed.
I am trying to get my head around, and fully understand and implement, Independent Component Analysis (ICA) for my power profile analysis. Doing this is more challenging than I anticipated. Therefore I did what I always do when trying to understand challenging topics: find them in my mother tongue, i.e. German. Some of my colleagues would happily vouch for the unambiguousness of a native language when it comes, and for me this is no exception (after all, that's how I managed to truly understand Maxwell in my 2nd year). So here I go again, and found a great article written in 2005 by Dr Christoph Bergmeir during his time at the faculty of Engineering, Informatics and Psychology at Ulm University (link). His article is extremely well versed (but that may be due to the preciseness of the German language 😛 ), it covers basic stochastic fundamentals based on information theory, it highlights requirements and limitations of ICA, and it also gives well explained examples (which I hope to replicate and include in this post). By reading the article and coding it up, I finally delved beyond my superficial understanding of ICA and am extremely happy to translate the article, both for my benefit, as well as that of others. Enjoy...
Big credit goes to Dr Christoph Bergmeir, many thanks!
After a long endeavour and many attempts to become part of a study at CINN where I would get a brain scan, I finally did it! Last week, I partook in a study involving EEG/fMRI under the supervision of Dr I. Daly (LinkedIn) and my good friend A. Malik (PhD profile). It was quite a lot of fun (hopefully I get to do more) and as a result I got some reimbursement as well as a copy of my brain's structural data in the form of a NIfTI (*.nii) file. By now I optimised the whole procedure to convert this into a 3D printable model and (one last time) wanted to summarise it here. Continue Reading →